SPAIN hars removed one of its warships from a US combat group over escalating tension with Iran.
Acting Minister of Defense, Margarita Robles, ordered the temporary removal of the Spanish frigate Méndez Núñez (F-104).
The vessel carries 215 sailors and was supporting the US aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln in the Red Sea.
Amid fears that Iran was accelerating its nuclear weapons capabilities, the joint fleet was due to enter the Persian Gulf.
Plans for the Spanish boat’s use in the fleet were made a year ago, and its participation was due to last until October 31, but will now not continue.
Robles said: “Spain’s commitment is to the European Union and the international organisations, and that is where we are going to always adopt common positions.”
It comes as Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, presented a plan to US President Donald Trump’s top security team that could send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East.
Several oil tankers were attacked or sabotaged off the coast of the UAE over the weekend, which the US blames Iran for.
Meanwhile British foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt said: “We are very worried about the risk of a conflict happening by accident, with an escalation that is unintended really on either side.”
- RURAL RETURN: Music, dance and theatre festival run by Brit in rural inland town celebrates fifth anniversary - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 21:00
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44