SPAIN hars removed one of its warships from a US combat group over escalating tension with Iran.
Acting Minister of Defense, Margarita Robles, ordered the temporary removal of the Spanish frigate Méndez Núñez (F-104).
The vessel carries 215 sailors and was supporting the US aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln in the Red Sea.
Amid fears that Iran was accelerating its nuclear weapons capabilities, the joint fleet was due to enter the Persian Gulf.
Plans for the Spanish boat’s use in the fleet were made a year ago, and its participation was due to last until October 31, but will now not continue.
Robles said: “Spain’s commitment is to the European Union and the international organisations, and that is where we are going to always adopt common positions.”
It comes as Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, presented a plan to US President Donald Trump’s top security team that could send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East.
Several oil tankers were attacked or sabotaged off the coast of the UAE over the weekend, which the US blames Iran for.
Meanwhile British foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt said: “We are very worried about the risk of a conflict happening by accident, with an escalation that is unintended really on either side.”
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33