OLD Spanish football shirts have been given a new lease of life on hospital wards in Madrid, with unwanted kits up-cycled for sick kids.
The ‘Strongest Hospital Gowns’ campaign has seen children at the Hospital San Rafael wearing hospital gowns fashioned from Barcelona and Real Madrid jerseys.
La Liga football shirts have replaced the usual green hospital robes in a bid to make child patients facing their ‘hardest match’ feel stronger.
“Illness is a scary rival. But it can be beaten, we’ve turned football shirts into hospital gowns because something great happens when we wear our team shirt.
“We become braver, stronger and more prepared to beat our opponent,” said the campaign’s promotional video.
A nurse at the hospital has even claimed the project could see children recovery faster from illness.
She explained: “The state of mind influences the evolution of a child, impacting how many days of hospitalisation,
“A gown gives you so much joy, can reduce stress and in turn reduces the hospital stay, because it improves your mood and defences at the same time and helps to recover faster.”
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00