VINCE Cable has warned that Brexit will ‘really hurt’ Gibraltar.
The leader of the Liberal Democrats made the warning during a visit to the frontier.
During the whistle-stop visit, he insisted the UK’s departure from the EU was ‘not a good option’ for the Rock.
“It’s very clear that Brexit is not a good option for Gibraltar,” Cable, 76, told the Olive Press.
“The overwhelming majority of people here voted against it.
“They’re more British than the British and more European than the Europeans. They want to keep those two identities and that is absolutely right.
“Brexit will potentially cause serious disruption.”
He continued: “The Spanish have played games with Gibraltar in the past and it was the intercession of the European Union that brought them back into line.
“Now if we walk away without a deal – which is what Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson among others are arguing for they’re totally vulnerable.”
He believes that the UK needs to stay in the European Union to ‘fight these damaging pressures’.
The leader believes the process of Brexit is not going well even though there is currently ‘an anti-Brexit majority in the House of Commons’.
He believes optimistically, however, that the decision could still be reversed.
“Brexit is going badly,” he continued. “The only way to resolve it is to go back to the people with the option to remain.
“We now have a good prospect of remaining in the EU which is what people in Gibraltar want.”
He also insisted he had no regrets about the coalition that brought the Tories and David Cameron to power in 2011.
“It was the right thing to do in the circumstances,” said Cable. “We had a very good coalition government that provided strong and stable government.
“Nowadays, Britain is sadly a very divided country and we need to get past Brexit to get back to the things that really matter.”
- ‘The closure of the border shaped us as a people,’ says Deputy Chief Minister, comparing historic event to Brexit - 9 Jun, 2019 @ 15:28
- Challenges ahead as Brexit turmoil looms for Gibraltar, says Deputy chief minister - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 08:57
- Robbie Williams ‘to join’ Take That performance at Gibraltar Calling festival - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:30
- Tickets for opera star Andrea Bocelli concert in Gibraltar sell out in just two days - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Nearly 400 new affordable homes to be built at North Mole in Gibraltar - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 19:33
- Lib Dem leader Vince Cable issues stark Brexit warning for Gibraltar in EXCLUSIVE Olive Press interview - 26 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- Vince Cable says Brexit will ‘really hurt’ Gibraltar while Rachel Johnson calls for Article 50 to be revoked - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- WATCH: Claims of cover-up after year-old footage leaks of near fatal disaster at Gibraltar’s dry dock - 14 May, 2019 @ 16:08
- Huge apartment block will be one of Gibraltar’s tallest buildings and sit at new entrance to the Rock - 28 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- SIR JOE BOSSANO: Spain’s far-right Vox party spells trouble for Gibraltar border - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 11:30