FORMER Arsenal winger Reyes has been laid to rest at an emotional church service in his hometown in southern Spain.
Jonathan Reyes, 23, the former Gunner’s cousin was also killed in the high-speed crash.
The much-loved player’s coffin was draped in a Seville FC flag and thousands watched on as the casket was carried by family and friends.
Reyes’ widow, Noelia, has paid tribute to her late husband and told mourners the star ‘will live forever in our hearts.’
The Spaniard joined the Gunners in January 2004 and was part of the ‘Invincibles’ side that went through the 2003-04 season unbeaten, winning the Premier League.
He later spent a season on loan at Real Madrid in 2006-07, winning La Liga.
“We couldn’t be confirming worse news,” Sevilla FC said on Twitter when news of the incident first broke.
The La Liga club paid tribute to the ‘eternal legend’, adding he was ‘one of the most valuable home grown players in the history of the club’.
Reyes leaves behind his wife Noelia Lopez, who he married in June 2017, and three children, daughters Noelia and Triana and son Jose Antonio Jr from a previous relationship.
The winger earned 21 caps for Spain.
He was playing at Extremadura following a career that included eight years at Sevilla and spells at Atlético Madrid.
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00