JAILED ex-International Monetary Fund chief Rodrigo Rato has been told he faces a fresh corruption trial in Spain.
The Madrid high court has ordered Rato to stand trial alongside 12 others for deals allegedly offered by senior Bankia figures to public relations firms in return for €2 million in suspected bribes.
Those charged will have to put up sureties of close to €4.5 million or face having their assets seized.
Prosecutors are seeking a sentence of four years’ jail time, which would double the time Rato must serve to eight-and-a-half years, and a fine of €2.5 million.
Authorities have already charged Rato over his role in listing Bankia on the stock market during his time heading up the bank from 2010 to 2012.
Rato was head of Caja Madrid which merged with six other struggling banks to from Bankia in 2010.
He was accused of falsifying Bankia accounts in order to trick investors and hide substantial losses at the height of the financial crisis.
The false stock market listing drew in many smaller and unsuspecting investors but authorities were soon forced to step in a rescue the bank.
Rato, who also served as Spain’s economy minister, must also await judgement on a separate tax avoidance case against him.
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00