A BRITISH expat councillor has suggested long held political rivalries may be ignored at local level in a bid to ensure stronger governance.
It comes after Ciudadanos continues to rule out any form of pacts with the PSOE on a national level, while the PSOE refuses to work with the Partido Popular either.
Hopefully though, this is set to change (in Mijas at least) where newly-elected councillor Bill Anderson is representing the PP party that won the election gaining nine seats but without a majority.
“In order to take power we need to gain the support of the PSOE,” Anderson, an Olive Press columnist, told the paper this week.
“Our leader Angel Nozal is open to negotiations to break the deadlock, but PSOE are supposedly banned from working with us in Madrid.”
He continued: “There are talks at National level about which parties everyone can pact with. Both PP and Ciudadanos refusing to work with Vox.
“PP and PSOE are arch enemies and I think they are passing this down the line,
“However Angel is focused solely on what Mijas needs which is four years of efficient and stable government,” he added.
Former Mayor Nozal has appealed to both Podemos and PSOE in Mijas to ‘reflect’ and insisted on opening up dialogue with both groups.
They also have the majority of councillors in Ronda and Torremolinos.
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00