A BRITISH man has died off a beach in southern Spain after strong currents swept the fifty-three year old out to sea.
The experienced swimmer got into trouble at Playa de El Palmar beach near Cadiz while he swam with his niece.
A passing surfer managed to haul the niece to safety before heading back and bringing the man to shore on his board.
Despite the best efforts of first responders the man did not respond to CPR and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Civil Guard officers are investigating the drowning.
A Foreign & Commonwealth Office spokesperson said: “Our staff are assisting the family of a British man who has died in Cadiz, and are in contact with the local authorities.”
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00