THREE ‘pirate taxis’ have been confiscated from their drivers during a sting operation at Alicante-Elche Airport.
The vehicles were found to have no authorisation to take passengers to and from the airport
The cars were impounded and drivers denounced.
The denunciation carries a fine that must be paid before the illicit drivers can collect their vehicles.
One of the drivers, from Torrevieja, had not had an official tarjeta de transporte since 2017.
Dave McQueen, owner of Alicante Transfers Ltd, told the Olive Press that official VTC licenses cost ‘from €15,000 to €50,000’.
He said VTC licenses allow a private car to be used in a professional capacity, and that a legal car’s rear number ‘should be blue’.
He added there is an app called ‘Control de VTC’s y Piratas’ that Android users can use to check car number plates for their licenses.
Colin, who runs A2B Taxis from Pedreguer, said: “There’s a special zone for legal taxis at Alicante-Elche Airport.
“But I’ve seen drivers in the car park illegally picking up passengers without them knowing.”
He said that by the end of June, all private cars with VTC licences ‘must get blue plates’ installed.
A spokesperson for Urban Mobility and Road Crime office at Elche town hall said the unit would ramp up coordinated efforts for the coming tourist season.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51