A STRING of vital infrastructure projects are set to finally get much needed investment around Andalucia.
They include a series of new roads, dozens of sewage projects, as well as vital protection for a string of key historic sites (see below for full guide).
Transport is understandably high on the agenda with €337,000 spent on the Velez Malaga tram network, some €6 million is being put into developing a train logistics hub in Antequera, and €4m will go on the bypass around Arriate, near Ronda.
Meanwhile, a tram is to be installed from Alcala de Guadaira to Sevilla, while the Malaga metro will get €29.8m.
Planners meanwhile are to study extending the Malaga A-357 dual carriageway all the way to Ronda.
The first stage of this will be €50,000 spent on improving the road from Ardales to Ronda, as well as launching a study on the widening the A-357 in the Guadalhorce valley.
- Andalucia economy could lose €1.1 BILLION in no-deal Brexit, Junta warns
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss?
- KILLER AIR: Andalucia Junta denounced for ‘failing’ to battle toxic air as Cadiz and Campo de Gibraltar revealed to have most polluted in Spain
In total, Malaga is to get €153 million under the new regional budget, signed off from the Junta, while Sevilla gets €170m, Granada gets €131m and Cadiz the highest amount with €212m. Huelva gets the smallest amount with just €96m.
One of the largest cash injections is for Malaga’s Picasso Museum, for which €4.3 million has been set aside, while other cultural investments include €2.4 million for the Dolmens in Antequera, and €875,000 for a Cameron de la Isla flamenco museum in San Fernando, Cadiz.
Meanwhile €324,000 is being spent on upgrading Almeria’s Ciudad del Cine, in Nijar, while €250,000 will be spent on a visitor centre at the Acinipo ruins, in Ronda.
Environmental money includes €1.4 million for a link pipe project for the La Concepcion and La Vinuela reservoirs, while cleaning of dry stream beds and waterways will cost €802,000.
Sewage projects are to get a huge amount of money in Huelva, with €35m set aside, while Jaen and Cordoba provinces get €22m each.
Pest control of the chestnut wasp in the Genal Valley, and promotion of Malaga’s famous raisins each receive €100,000.
Two large health projects also receive cash, the new Estepona hospital (€4.2 million) and San Pedro health centre (€3 million).
The big projects at a glance (and totals for each province)
Sevilla – €170,36 million
€350,000 to upgrade metro line 3.
€5.55 millions for Alcala de Guadaira tramway.
Granada – €130,79 million
€4.44 million for more research at the Parque de las Ciencias.
€5 million for a new site of the Biblioteca de Andalucía.
Cádiz – €212.28 million
€142 million for the ITI programme (Inversión Territorial Integrada) to modernise the most undeveloped areas.
€1.2 million for the Museo del Carnaval
Huelva – €96.63 million
More than €2 million to convert the Banco de Espana building.
€23,4 million for University research projects
Almería – €125.23 million
€44 million towards the olive sector, including different training programmes for young farmers.
€324.000 towards the Ciudad del Cine project, in Níjar.
Córdoba €118.01 million
€4.1m towards the modernisation of olive farms
€7.7m for young farmers
Jaén – €131.78 million
€5 million towards building the railway branch line Vadollano-Linares
€22 million for sanitation system and water purification.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08