NORTHERN Spain has been placed on red alert as extreme temperatures scorch Europe.
Extreme risk, the highest warning possible, is predicted for much of the country today, Friday and Saturday.
Catalunya, Aragon, La Rioja and Navarra are the worst affected regions, while the Costa del Sol will remain safe.
Temperatures in the hottest areas are expected to break the 40ºC barrier.
Meanwhile the heatwave has already arrived in Mallorca with temperatures of 32.5ºC recorded before 9am in Banyalbufar.
Andalucia has orange warnings in place for parts of Granada and Cordoba this weekend, while Sevilla is only on yellow alert.
Temperatures in the high 30s are expected throughout much of Andalucia over the next few days, while 40ºC is forecast in Jodar, Jaen on Sunday.
This weather event, affecting most of western Europe, is the 10th heatwave in Spain since 1975.
Scientists say the scorching temperatures are due to hot air from the Sahara Desert moving northwards – sometimes dubbed an African plume.
This is due to the combination of an Atlantic Ocean storm and high pressure over central Europe.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08