A 16TH CENTURY sculpture of Saint George has been restored to its – mostly – original state after receiving an infamously botched makeover.
The wooden statue of St George astride a horse in San Miguel church in Estella, Navarra, had turned dark brown with age.
But its restoration by a local crafts business left the soldier with a pink face and a look which social media users mercilessly compared to Tintin or Woody from Toy Story.
Authorities fined the church and the crafts business €6,010 each.
Now, after three months of work in an official laboratory in the nearby city of Pamplona for a cost of €30,000paid by the parish, St George is back to normal.
However there has been some irreversible damage, with some of the sculpture’s colours lost forever, Fernando Carrera, spokesman for Spain’s art conservation-restoration association, said.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31