A RESIDENT’S association has begun legal action to stop the completion of Barcelona’s iconic Sagrada Familia.
Construction of the emblematic cathedral stalled after architect Antoni Gaudi’s drawings were destroyed in a 1930s fire.
Officials then could not find any record of planning permission being granted when Gaudi took over construction in 1885.
But after permission was finally granted by mayor Ada Colau last month, plans may be scuppered again by 3,000 people who fear for the fate of their apartments.
Residents particularly on Carrer de Mallorca, which runs along the east side of the cathedral, worry they will have to vacate their homes as the area becomes a building site.
“We are directly affected and that is why we want to take the necessary legal actions”, Salvador Barroso, a spokesman for the Association of those Affected by the Construction of the Sagrada Familia, told El Pais.
The newly-formed association will present a legal complaint to Barcelona’s Supreme Court, as well as ask the Town Hall to rescind planning permission.
Colau last month allowed building work to proceed until 2026, by which time completion of a planned 12 towers would see La Sagrada Familiar become Europe’s tallest religious structure, at 172.5 metres height.
She also approved €4.6 million to correct the iconic anomaly in Barcelona’s skyline.
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06
- British man, 46, arrested after stabbing 20-year-old at 11AM in a bar in Alfaz del Pi on the Costa Blanca - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 17:45