21 Sep, 2020 @ 16:39
1 min read

‘Not a single reason’ why Spain’s Andalucia should bring back lockdown-style measures as Junta praises public’s response to COVID-19 crisis

800px El  As_bendodo_rp_cgob
OPTIMISTIC: Elias Bendodo says Andalucia has the virus 'under control'

THERE is not a ‘single reason’ for Andalucia to introduce lockdown-style measures similar to those brought in to parts of Madrid today.

That’s the verdict of the Junta spokesperson Elias Bendodo, who said at a press conference today that the region has the situation ‘under control.’

Bendodo said the current figures, which include less than 1,000 in hospital, are a third of the stats seen during the peak of the first wave in March.

800px El  As_bendodo_rp_cgob
OPTIMISTIC: Elias Bendodo says Andalucia has the virus ‘under control’

He added that the level of contagion in the southernmost region is relatively low, with Andalucia registering 140 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, the fourth-lowest incidence rate in the country.

The national average is 280 while harder hit regions like La Rioja are clocking a rate of 550, and in Madrid it is above 600.

“The situation is under control, there are infections, but there is no pressure on healthcare like what was seen in the March wave,” Bendodo said.

“Madrid has made the difficult decision to limit mobility…there is not a single reason for Andalucia to enact similar measures.”

Bendodo praised the public for ‘strictly’ following the health measures, as well as the more than 8,000 health workers.

He added that more than 90% of care homes in the region are free from coronavirus thanks to ‘preparedness, controlling access, limiting visits’ and intense cleaning protocols.

Andalucia has registered 812 COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours and 14 deaths.

According to the Junta, the majority of deaths have been in Malaga, where nine were counted on Monday, then Cordoba with two and Almeria, Cadiz and Sevilla registering one each.

Laurence Dollimore

Laurence has a BA and MA in International Relations and a Gold Standard diploma in Multi-Media journalism from News Associates in London. He has almost a decade of experience and previously worked as a senior reporter for the Mail Online in London.

GOT A STORY? Contact [email protected] or call +34 951 273 575 Twitter: @olivepress

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Bar And Restaurant Owners Claim 18 000 Jobs Are Threatened In Benidorm On Spain  S Costa Blanca If Furlough Scheme Is Not Extended
Previous Story

Bar and restaurant owners claim 18,000 jobs could be lost in Benidorm on Spain’s Costa Blanca if furlough scheme is not extended

Drugs Farm 1
Next Story

UK police uncover 4 underground cannabis bunkers after tip-off from Spain’s Guardia Civil

Latest from Coronavirus

Go toTop

More From The Olive Press