AN expatriate living in Spain is understood to have scooped a record 60 million euros in Friday’s Euro Millions draw.
The winner is believed to live in the Almeria town of Mojacar, where half of the 10,000 population is British.
He was joined by another winner in the UK, who also scooped 60 million euros.
One ticket in Britain and one in Spain shared the 120 million jackpot.
“There is a very good chance the winning ticket was bought by a Brit living in Mojácar.”
Subject to validation, the prize could be paid out when the banks open tomorrow. The winner can then decide whether to go public.
A spokesman for the official lottery operator in Spain, Loterias y Apuestas del Estado, said: “There is a very good chance the winning ticket was bought by a Brit living in Mojácar.”
Mojacar, a popular holiday destination for Britons, boasts a British library, an English Bullfighting Club and a branch of the Royal British Legion.
Last night Lotto bosses in the UK confirmed that a double record-breaking cash bonanza for British players was a realistic possibility.
Both ticket-holders will be catapulted into first place in the National Lottery rich list. Joint second on the list of lottery wins are Les Scadding and wife Sam from South Wales, and the Lucky Seven syndicate from Liverpool, who each banked a EuroMillions cheque for £45.5million in November last year.
Angela Kelly from Glasgow is third with her £35.4million win in August 2007 followed by an unnamed £26.5million winner the same month.
IF YOU KNOW THE WINNER CONTACT THE OLIVE PRESS ON 00 34 691831399 OR EMAIL JON@THEOLIVEPRESS.ES
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00