A ROMANTIC author won a prestigious literary award – the night before she was due to give birth to her first child.
Lucy King, real name Lucy Roberts, from Jerez, scooped a top award for her debut novel Damsel in Distress released last year.
Heavily pregnant, the 37-year-old was unable to attend the UK awards dinner hosted by the Romantic Novelists’ Association (RNA).
“I thought the news might send me to hospital early!”
King, originally from London, triumphed to collect the Joan Hessayon Award.
“I thought the news might send me to hospital early!” explained King, who has lived in Spain for four and a half years.
“To say I was speechless was something of an understatement. It even took my mind off the impending arrival.”
Out of hundreds of authors, King was chosen to feature on the three-strong shortlist.
“To have a book published and to even feature on the shortlist is an honour in itself, but to win was beyond my wildest dreams,” added King.
The author’s second novel, Propositioned by the Billionaire, is due out in July and she is now working on her third.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00