THE economic woes of Greece and Spain could trigger a break-up of the euro, predicts one of the world’s top
The fall out would plunge Europe even deeper into recession warned Nobel prize winning Dr Joseph Stiglitz.
He made the prediction as Spain’s unemployment rate this week rose to 20 per cent – or over four million people – and Ireland’s economy continued to teeter.
Stiglitz said the stress placed on the single European currency by its failing economies meant ‘the future prospects of the euro are bleak’.
He argued that the only long-term solution might be for Germany, Europe’s strongest economy, to ditch the currency altogether.
He said Germany’s exit would allow the euro to fall in value, boosting exports from Europe’s stragglers, whose goods would become cheaper for the rest of the world to buy.
New York-based Dr Stiglitz, said the drastic measure would help stave off the threat of a double-dip recession posed by ‘a wave of austerity’ across the continent.
In a damning indictment of the EU’s failure to prepare for ongoing financial strife, he said Brussels should have established a fund to help nations facing economic turmoil.
Without such a fund, he warned, Europe will be left with no option but to end the ‘interesting experiment’ of the euro in its current form.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00