THE economic woes of Greece and Spain could trigger a break-up of the euro, predicts one of the world’s top
The fall out would plunge Europe even deeper into recession warned Nobel prize winning Dr Joseph Stiglitz.
He made the prediction as Spain’s unemployment rate this week rose to 20 per cent – or over four million people – and Ireland’s economy continued to teeter.
Stiglitz said the stress placed on the single European currency by its failing economies meant ‘the future prospects of the euro are bleak’.
He argued that the only long-term solution might be for Germany, Europe’s strongest economy, to ditch the currency altogether.
He said Germany’s exit would allow the euro to fall in value, boosting exports from Europe’s stragglers, whose goods would become cheaper for the rest of the world to buy.
New York-based Dr Stiglitz, said the drastic measure would help stave off the threat of a double-dip recession posed by ‘a wave of austerity’ across the continent.
In a damning indictment of the EU’s failure to prepare for ongoing financial strife, he said Brussels should have established a fund to help nations facing economic turmoil.
Without such a fund, he warned, Europe will be left with no option but to end the ‘interesting experiment’ of the euro in its current form.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00