By Wendy Williams
SHE was a courtesan, a dancer and most famously the lover of British naval hero Admiral Horatio Nelson.
Born in the 1760s Lady Hamilton climbed the ranks of society to become one of the wealthiest and most celebrated women in England.
But it wasn’t all a fairytale rags to riches story.
In 1805, just a few years after he left his wife for her, Nelson, was killed in the Battle of Trafalgar off the coast of Cadiz.
Lecture to explain why Nelson’s mistress was not allowed to attend his funeral after his death in Spain.
And Lady Hamilton, who was the love of his life and mother to his only child, was forbidden from attending his funeral in London.
Now her life is being told in a lecture by the DFAS de la Frontera at the San Roque Golf and Country Club on October
Historian, author and TV presenter Dr. Kate Williams will be giving an illustrated talk recounting Emma’s dramatic story and exploring how her eighteenth-century world was both glamorous and cruel.
For more information call 952804692 or visit www.nadfas-delafrontera.org.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00