ALTHOUGH I am a golfer and I can’t swim I still like watching the kitesurfers and windsurfers perform in Almerimar from time to time.
We are blessed with one of the driest climates in mainland Spain. We tend not to have too much rain in the area. If anything our bad weather tends to wind rather than rain, particularly in the winter. It is not really windy all of the time but most of the time there is at least a sea breeze here. So the weather is normally OK for golfers as well as windsurfers and kitesurfers. Occasionally it is very windy which is great for the windsurfers and kitesurfers but no so good for me. It is on days like this that I sometimes pop down to the local beach to watch the water lovers perform.
We are very lucky to have the current world windsurfing champion, Víctor Fernández living in Almerimar. You can see a video of him performing in Almerimar here on YouTube. I think this will give you an idea of why he is the world champion. He has also been nominated for the Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year award for 2011. We will find out on 7 February whether he has won this award.
Just over a week ago on 9 January 2011 I spotted some kitesurfers doing their stuff when I looked out of the window of our apartment. I took a photo of the kitesurfers over the top of the hotel in the centre of town that is currently being refurbished and I published an article about it on our site. Today one of our friends, John Witham, has just emailed us some photos that he took on the beach on the same day I took the photo from my apartment.
After a quick poke around on the internet I came across a few sites about kitesurfing in Almerimar. For example the site here has contact phone numbers for what appears to be a Spanish kitesurfing school that I didn’t know existed in Almerimar. You can also see a video of kitesurfing and windsurfing in Almerimar here on YouTube.
So if you prefer windsurfing or kitesurfing to golf then Almerimar may not be too bad a place to consider visiting.
- Memories of Middlesbrough - 25 Aug, 2012 @ 15:43
- Up the Boro - 23 Apr, 2012 @ 08:14
- Blog, fog and smog - 5 Apr, 2012 @ 13:25
- Spring comes to Almerimar – but no green shoots of recovery? - 8 Mar, 2012 @ 09:33
- Almerimar Burns Night - 29 Jan, 2012 @ 20:58
- Canadian Rummy, Tuesday Golf and Eric McMordie - 22 Dec, 2011 @ 11:46
- Long drive to bodega for golfers - 24 Nov, 2011 @ 11:55
- Fairplay for great customer service - 19 Oct, 2011 @ 15:24
- Almerimar treasure hunts - 6 Sep, 2011 @ 21:15
- Golf – it has taken over the last 17 years of my life! - 18 Jul, 2011 @ 08:36