- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spanish cyclist Xavier Tondo dies in freak accident
• Tondo, who was born in Tarragona, had won 14 races during his career as a professional cyclist
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
TOP Spanish cyclist Xavier Tondo has died in a freak accident after he was crushed between his car and a garage door at his home in the Sierra Nevada ski resort.
The 32-year-old – who was in training for this year Tour de France – was killed yesterday morning while trying to take his car out of the garage in the Pradollano residential complex.
It’s understood that the cyclist got out of the car to try to get the garage door to open but his car rolled forward and pinned him against the door.
His Movistar team mate, Beñat Intxausti, was in the passenger seat at the time.
Tondo, who was born in Tarragona, had won 14 races during his career as a professional cyclist, including the Vuelta a Castilla y León earlier this year.
His fellow countryman, Tour de France winner and current Giro d’Italia leader Alberto Contador led the tributes via Twitter.
“Life is so unjust and difficult to understand at certain moments, it’s impossible to describe my feelings on the death of Xavi Tondo,” Contador wrote.
“My most sincere condolences to his family. He was an incredible person who loved this sport like nobody else. You will be missed. Rest in peace.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]