Q. I built an illegal extension on my property some time ago, and my neighbour has reported me to the town hall. Am I in trouble?
A. Building an extension without planning permission in Spain is illegal. However, if you can prove that it was built more than four years ago you may apply for a certificate of lawfulness, which will make it legal. This is possible only if you were not reported within the four-year Statute of Limitation period or your property is not located in an area of special protection (the equivalent to an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), as in these cases you could have a demolition order issued against you.
Q. I have a limited company in Spain that I wish to shut down. Can I just go to the Notary and sign deeds to close it down?
A. Not really, unless you want to incur personal liability. Once companies are set up, shareholders and directors have certain restrictions regarding how they go about closing it down. If they have debts, they can be held personally liable. It is for this reason that we advise you to consult a specialist in the matter who will guide you through the process of closing it down, particularly if you have creditors that are owed money.
Contact Antonio at Lawbird Legal Services
Edificio Alfil Floor 4, Ricardo Soriano, 19 – 4B, 29601 Marbella, Malaga (Spain) Phone: +34 952 861890 – firstname.lastname@example.org – www.lawbird.com
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10