By Mason Jones
A FATHER and his daughter have died after jumping into the sea to escape raging fires in Cataluna.
The 60-year-old French man died landing on rocks, while his daughter, 15, drowned.
The pair had jumped 165ft from a cliff with three other family members as the blaze spread, near Portbou, on the Costa Brava.
A group of about 150 tourists were forced out of their vehicles by flames and down a hillside.
The mother of the French family is in a critical condition but the son and other daughter are not thought to have suffered serious injury.
The fire, which has now claimed four lives, has burned across 35 square miles.
- Maximilian Bartie - 4 Sep, 2012 @ 14:20
- Making a splash around Andalucia - 3 Sep, 2012 @ 14:22
- Andalucia’s open-air cuisine - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 14:04
- Corruption probe over illegal licence for Benalmadena apartment complex - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:50
- Classes for parents aim to combat fatigue in children - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:48
- Andalucia dubbed a birdwatcher’s paradise - 1 Sep, 2012 @ 09:20
- Meeting the Spanish ‘Robin Hood’ - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 14:00
- Spain turns volume down - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 10:54
- A new look for Spaniard Penelope Cruz - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 09:00
- Worker dies in Benalmadena rubbish accident - 30 Aug, 2012 @ 13:16