- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
A taste of home for former expat
• British student Katie Smith. pic Paul Lewis
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A TEENAGER who dropped out of university to set up a business selling British food to expats has made over €600,000 in her first year of trading.
Katie Smith, 18, quit her economics degree at Loughborough University last October to set up her UK-based company Tastes Marvellous.
The former expat, who grew up in Saudi Arabia, has so far exported British treats to 84 countries, including Spain, with best-sellers including Marmite, Minstrels, Hartley’s Jam and Bird’s Custard.
And while her biggest single market is the US, orders have come in from as far afield as Botswana, Kuwait and Greenland.
“During my first week at university, I realised that I had so many business ideas that I did not want to wait for three years,” said Smith.
“I really believe that I have learned so much more this year through practical experience than I ever would at university.
“Now I want to increase the business Japan and the Far East. The world is our oyster.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]