- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spanish families given eviction lifeline
• The government was forced to act following two suicides
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
FAMILIES who are evicted will be provided with low-rent public housing, the government has announced.
Economy Minister Luis de Guindos confirmed repossessed properties owned by the banks will be used to help those left homeless.
The Cabinet was forced to act after two suicides, both directly related to evictions, led to widespread protests.
Other measures introduced include a two-year ban on the eviction of vulnerable people, halting a trend which has seen 400,000 homes repossessed since 2008.
Families with monthly income below €1,600, those with a child under three years old and people with disabilities will all benefit from the measure.
Jobless people who are not eligible to claim employment benefits and domestic violence victims will also be exempt.
The opposition PSOE party had wanted the ban to be applied to all families regardless of their circumstances, but this was rejected by the government.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]