- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Axarquia – A region of variety
Each of the Axarquia’s 31 towns and villages have their own distinct charm and a history more eventful than you may imagine.
In El Borge, which is famed for its raisins and as the birthplace of El Bizco, a blood-thirsty, one-eyed bandit, you will find street names reflecting the fact that today’s mayor is a little to the left of Mao Tse-tung.
Tiny Macharaviaya has interesting street names too…Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans. They recall the days when it was known as Little Madrid, thanks to the Galvez family who achieved power and wealth and aided the USA’s fight for independence.
Riogordo is the place to be on Good Friday and Easter Saturday. You are likely to meet Roman centurions strolling down the main street and Galician shepherds refreshing themselves in a bar. Hundreds of villagers take part in the annual Passion Play.
High up in Comares you will find a fascinating town going back to the Phoenicians, where the Arabic Moors later created a key settlement, testament to which is the Patio de Comares in the Alhambra.
In Colmenar, meaning bee hive, you will appropriately find the region’s honey museum and a charming village of cobbled steep streets.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Police make two record drug hauls in one week…