Each of the Axarquia’s 31 towns and villages have their own distinct charm and a history more eventful than you may imagine.
In El Borge, which is famed for its raisins and as the birthplace of El Bizco, a blood-thirsty, one-eyed bandit, you will find street names reflecting the fact that today’s mayor is a little to the left of Mao Tse-tung.
Tiny Macharaviaya has interesting street names too…Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans. They recall the days when it was known as Little Madrid, thanks to the Galvez family who achieved power and wealth and aided the USA’s fight for independence.
Riogordo is the place to be on Good Friday and Easter Saturday. You are likely to meet Roman centurions strolling down the main street and Galician shepherds refreshing themselves in a bar. Hundreds of villagers take part in the annual Passion Play.
High up in Comares you will find a fascinating town going back to the Phoenicians, where the Arabic Moors later created a key settlement, testament to which is the Patio de Comares in the Alhambra.
In Colmenar, meaning bee hive, you will appropriately find the region’s honey museum and a charming village of cobbled steep streets.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10