- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
UK sex offenders check launched in Spain
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Mason Jones
A NEW initiative to prevent UK sex offenders from gaining access to children by travelling abroad has been launched in Spain today.
The international police check has been developed by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre (CEOP).
“CEOP has found that some international schools, charities and other agencies overseas do not currently have access to the same level of police checks available to organisations in the UK, sometimes enabling sex offender to gain positions of trust with children,” said Peter Davies, Chief Executive of the organisation.
Giles Paxman, British Ambassador to Spain also commented: “Sexual abuse of children is a detestable crime.
“We are determined to do all we can to help schools and other organisations working with children to protect themselves from the perpetrators, both at home and abroad.
“This initiative is part of a much wider programme of cooperation between Spanish and British law enforcement agencies. I sincerely hope it will protect minors as well as deter offenders,” he added.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Take a look at the five most-read stories on the Olive Press website this week…