- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Goya mystery finally solved in UK
• Goya's infamous portrait of the Duke of Wellington
THE theft of a painting by Spanish artist Francisco Goya from Britain’s National Gallery has finally been solved.
Described as one of the greatest art heists of the 20th century, the case has remained shrouded in mystery for more than 50 years.
But the identity of the thief, who stole the portrait of the Duke of Wellington in 1961, has been revealed following the release of a confidential file.
John Bunton, the son of a retired bus driver from Newcastle, swiped the masterpiece (today valued at €2.4 million) after climbing over a wall and entering through the open window of the men’s toilet.
The 20-year-old confessed in 1969, four years after his father Kempton stood trial for the theft.
The painting had earlier been recovered from the left luggage office at Birmingham New Street station.
The 61-year-old Kempton Bunton was cleared of stealing the painting, but served three months for the larceny of the picture frame.
John Bunton, who has never gone on trial for the theft, claimed he stole the painting to help his dad’s campaign against pensioners having to pay the BBC license fee.
“He intended to use it as a tool in his campaign and that it should ultimately be returned to the National Gallery,” he said.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Police make two record drug hauls in one week…