- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Estepona dog owner ran over his pet in rage
• The beagle survived his ordeal
By Frances Leate
A CRUEL attack on a pet dog, witnessed by scores of people, has been condemned by animal rights campaigners.
People watched in horror as a 30-year-old man repeatedly beat his beagle and then ran it over several times in broad daylight.
The horrific incident, which took place in the Parque Antena urbanisation, in Estepona, was witnessed by residents who alerted police.
The dog, which miraculously survived the ordeal, is now being cared for by local residents.
Its owner was later arrested and found to be twice over the drink drive limit.
Mary Page, vice-chairman of animal rescue charity, Adana, said the police need to come down hard on people who needlessly hurt animals.
“This is a horrible example of how animals are being hurt needlessly and cruelly and I can only assume this man had a momentary loss of his senses,” she said.
“In this case the police had no alternative but to take action because it was witnessed by people but so many cases of animal cruelty are completely ignored.
“It is not a problem that is unique to Spain but there is a need for education when it comes to looking after pets properly.
“The government needs to ensure the harshest punishments are given to people who hurt animals.”
Did you see this incident? Do you know the man involved? Contact [email protected]
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…