- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
January 28, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
January 25, 2013
Opinion • 0 Comments
• Singer Joe Strummer has been honoured in Granada
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
THE opening weeks of 2013 may have been dominated by yet more economic gloom, not to mention gloomier weather – but at least Spain’s cultural heritage has reason to be cheerful.
The news that Cortijo del Fraile – the iconic building which inspired Lorca’s Blood Wedding – is finally to be restored is heartwarming.
The 18th century farmhouse is in desperate need of repairs, but given Spain’s economic plight, the idea of letting it fall into further disrepair is beyond comprehension when considering the potential tourism revenue it could generate.
Meanwhile, the decision to honour former Clash singer Joe Strummer by naming a plaza in Granada after him looks like another good decision from a tourism point of view.
The city already has a reputation for its Bohemian lifestyle thanks to a large student population.
And associating itself with a British music icon who adopted the city as his second home will do no harm in attracting the sort of crowd looking for an addition to the Alhambra.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]