- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Rajoy rejects calls for resignation
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPANISH Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has pledged to battle on through corruption claims, rejecting calls for his resignation from the opposition party.
It comes after he and many of his cabinet were accused of taking millions in so-called ‘bungs’ from a €22 million slush fund.
The leader himself is accused of taking more than €30,000 per year over a 12-year period.
Appearing alongside German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin today, Rajoy said the PP would overcome the accusations, which have already sparked protests and an online petition of 850,000 signatures demanding him to step down.
“The government is stable. The PP has a majority, It’s carrying out its agenda based on reforms,” said the 57-year-old PM.
Merkel said Germany would support the Spanish government’s agenda.
“I have the impression that the whole Spanish government is working to drive down unemployment, to push through structural reforms,” added Merkel.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]