Gibraltar’s under-19 national football squad became be the first team to represent Gibraltar in a European Championship Qualifier since Gibraltar was accepted as the 54th nation by UEFA.
The team began with with a friendly against the Bulgarian national team. Against tough opposition, Gibraltar lost 6-0 but put up a credible performance. The team are now in the Czech Republic to compete at the European Championships on Thursday.
The squad of 26 including players and coaching staff are in Group 1 among host team Czech Republic, Croatia and Cyprus.
Gibraltar’s team captain John ‘Jack’ Sergeant said: “It’s going to be really tough but my message to the team is to go there taking everything we’ve learnt over the last five months and to give it our best shot.”
- Taste of Spain - 27 Oct, 2013 @ 18:00
- Squid’s in - 27 Oct, 2013 @ 14:00
- Just champion for a first time! - 27 Oct, 2013 @ 10:30
- What you’re chatting about… (19-25 October 2013) - 27 Oct, 2013 @ 10:30
- Have you heard of footgolf? - 26 Oct, 2013 @ 18:00
- Spanish PIVE car plan gets €70m boost - 26 Oct, 2013 @ 14:30
- Businesses in Spain don’t like Facebook - 26 Oct, 2013 @ 14:00
- This week’s most read news (19-25 October 2013) - 26 Oct, 2013 @ 10:30
- Spanish singer Manolo Escobar dies - 25 Oct, 2013 @ 14:30
- Offering renewed hope in the fight against cancer - 23 Oct, 2013 @ 18:30