A BRITISH family has joined forces with a world-famous horse whisperer to rescue a herd of Spanish horses.
Expats Julian and Lynn Nicholson, and their teenage children Megan and Freddie, have since launched a Murcia-based events company to support their rescued animals.
When the Nicholson’s discovered in 2013 that a Murcia horse-breeder planned to sell his herd to a meat factory, they rushed to the rescue.
But after just a month of looking after the 11 malnourished horses, the family began struggling financially and realised help was needed.
After months of research, emails and telephone calls, the family was finally able to reach Simin Nadjafi Hinrichs – one of Europe’s leading horse whisperers.
“Simin was extremely positive and supportive. She instantly appreciated the commitment we had made to save the horses and offered her help and experience,” said Julian, who co-founded the events company Jacobs Ridge.
Hinrichs, who was responsible for the European tour of horse whispering legend Monty Roberts – the inspiration for Robert Redford’s character in the hit film The Horse Whisperer – was the ideal expert to have on board.
“Obviously rescuing a dog or a cat is one thing, but when you suddenly have 11 extra horses in the garden it’s something completely different,” said Julian.
The company’s first event – a week-long residential horse whispering course run by Simin Nadjafi Hinrichs – will be held in March 2015.
“We are hoping this will be the start of something quite special with future events planned for the coming years and hopefully some well fed and happy horses,” said Julian.
For more information visit www.jacobsridge.com. Bookings are now open.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05