A BRITISH fugitive who claimed he was hiding out in Marbella has been arrested in Nottingham, UK.
Haroon Ahmed was picked up by Nottinghamshire police after he ‘walked out’ the front door at Dovegate prison in Staffordshire last week.
Ahmed had claimed that he was hiding out on the Costa del Sol after contacting British newspaper the Sunday Mirror.
He said: “In my own mind I wanted to test out the security.
“I thought I’ll give it a go – and walked out of the door. That’s how easy it was. I just kept on walking.”
A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said: “The 26-year-old was arrested in the Nottingham area.
“He has been recalled to prison following breaching the terms of his licence.
“Staffordshire Police would like to thank the media for their assistance.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36