A CAMPAIGN to unify Gibraltar with La Linea as an independent republic is gathering steam on social media.
The ‘Referendum adhesion a Gibraltar’ Facebook group has gained 480 likes since it was launched a week ago, stirring up debate on both sides of the border.
The campaign was launched by Spanish La Linea residents who are fed up with being portrayed in the media as a drug trafficking and smuggling route.
They now want to find out how many others would be in favour of turning their back on Madrid and joining with Gibraltar.
“As La Linea residents, we are tired of supporting an old-fashioned situation of confrontation between the UK and Spain,” explains the group Facebook page.
“We are even more tired of the queues and being used as pawns in a strategy game between the two countries.”
The group is calling for a yes/no referendum to be granted on the matter.
Have your say in our poll.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44