A LARGE section of Europa Point will be transformed into community sports facilities, if the proposed move of the new football stadium to Lathbury Barracks gets planning approval.
The Save Europa Point group has welcomed the government´s decision to abandon a planned football stadium at the southern tip of the Rock.
Instead, the government has confirmed that the old MOD cricket pitch will remain an open space containing two football training pitches and a rugby pitch. In the summer months, it will revert to a cricket pitch.
There is to be no new buildings bar an ‘attractive pavilion’ on the site, allowing Europa Point to retain its current outlook.
Chief Minister Fabian Picardo said: “It’s the right development in the right place now that the GFA could be going to Lathbury.
“We have worked hard to get all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to work as best as possible in everyone’s interest, and it is now coming together in a fantastic way.”
“This is therefore a classic ‘win-win situation’ for Gibraltar,” he added.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44