IT’S a uniform as British as the Tower of London’s Beefeaters.
But Marbella tourists sporting socks and sandals, bikini tops around the old town and shorts at night will soon be hit with fines.
New regulations are set to hit hapless holidaymakers who fall foul of new town fashion laws.
A sliding scale of fines comes into effect from next month, with sandals and white socks incurring a whopping €100 fine.
Bikini-wearing and shorts infractions could bring in fines of up to €200.
“It’s a scandal,” said enraged Brit Paul McTackle, 44, from Scunthorpe, who is on holiday with his family for Easter.
“I’ve worn sandals with socks with pride from the Costa del Sol to Cadiz.
“Now some faceless bureaucrat wants to spoil our fun.”
The policy has been introduced in a bid to make Marbella definitively the most upmarket resort in Spain.
“We want to make a difference,” a local councillor told the Olive Press this week.
“We are concerned that a spate of downmarket tourism TV shows like TOWIE and The Only Way Is Marbs are cheapening our image.
“We want to get back to the more glamorous days of the 60s and 70s and compete with resorts like St Tropez.”
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00