THREE Andalucian entrepreneurs have taken biotechnology to potty new lengths with a battery that recharges in soil.
Pablo Manuel Vidarte, Rafael Rebollo and Javier Rodriguez’s Bioo converts energy created during photosynthesis in plants into electricity.
The device is a USB port hidden inside a stone that can be popped into a planter to harness energy from the soil and used to charge your phone – and that’s only one of many possible future applications.
Vidarte said: “We have used our prototypes until now to charge a mobile phone and now we are planning to sell them in a crowdfunding campaign. Our aim is not to raise a lot of money, now we just want the validation of a real market.”
The patented technology will first be tried out in Barcelona.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15