SOME 1,500 people have helped to reforest Santa Margarita and La Alcaidesa following the devastating fires in July.
More than 20,000 seeds and dozens of trees have been planted after locals came armed with their own tools and specimens of seeds and plants.
Reaching a ‘level one’ alert, the early summer fire burnt hundreds of hectares of land and forced hundreds of people out of their homes.
Nearby Hotel Aldiana moved 425 guests, mostly German and British, to a sports centre in La Linea where they spent two nights while firefighters tackled the blaze.
Meanwhile, 180 people were evacuated from albergue Cortijo La Alcaidesa and taken to another sports centre in San Roque and dozens of homeowners followed suit.
Verdemar spokesman Alfredo Valencia has commended the effort of locals to help restore the area.
“They have exceeded all expectations,” he said. “We have had a huge impact on an environmental level, planting so much new green life while removing one ton of rubbish from the area.”
Alongside other groups, like SOS Sierra Carbonera, Verdemar members also visited schools and colleges to discuss the devastating impact of forest fires and how they can start.
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47