JOSE Garcia-Margallo has insisted Spain will still attempt to deny Gibraltar a voice in Brexit negotiations despite his replacement suggesting otherwise.
Margallo was asked to comment on his country’s position after the newly appointed foreign minister, Alfonso Dastis, failed to mention the issue in his first meeting with his UK counterpart Boris Johnson, leading many to speculate that it is no longer a priority.
“I’ve spoken to him and he knows perfectly well when this match is going to be played,” Margallo said.
“No one can even contemplate a country having a colony inside the EU, no one can contemplate such a thing.”
Margallo said he was confident Spain would block any attempt by the UK to include Gibraltar within the scope of the Brexit negotiations.
“In the last five years while I’ve been minister, we have vetoed everything that related to Gibraltar, I don’t see why this wouldn’t continue to be the case.”
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47