A WOMAN who suffered an attempted ‘beheading’ by her husband last week is still fighting for her life in hospital.
The 30-year-old was attacked by her other half in Almeria last Sunday.
He managed to kill himself before police arrived but amazingly she survived despite deep cuts to the back of her neck.
It comes as new figures today have revealed a shocking 21.6% rise in violent attacks against women in Andalucia.
The region has seen 17,614 complaints of violence so far this year, compared to 14,481 over the same period last year.
Authorities say the rise in figures is partly due to women coming forward more often.
Between January and June of this year, 4,311 requests have been registered by the victims for protection, of which 3,236 (75.6%) have been granted.
Another 1,041 have been denied, while 34 of them have not been accepted.
In the same period last year 4,099 protective measures were requested, of which 2,802 (68.3%) were granted, 1,171 were refused and 97 were not admitted.
A €1 billion fund is set to be discussed in Spain’s Parliament to help tackle gender-based violence across Spain, of which 500 million will be allocated to the autonomous communities.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- BREAKING: Body of little Julen ‘found in Malaga well’ - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 13:24
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00