EVERY year the world’s leading cities fight it out to be the most Instagrammed place on the planet.
Last year, London took the crown as the most snapped and tagged city in the world.
This year, it has been knocked down to third, preceeded by first place New York and second-placed Moscow, in Russia.
Barcelona was the tenth most tagged city in the world this year.
Researchers looked at the number of tags and hashtags for top cities, landmarks, locations and hotels.
Most Instagrammed cities
- New York, New York
2. Moscow, Russia
3. London, United Kingdom
4. Sao Paulo, Brazil
5. Paris, France
6. Los Angeles, California
7. Saint Petersburg, Russia
8. Jakarta, Indonesia
9. Istanbul, Turkey
10. Barcelona, Spain
The most popular geo-tagged location in the UK was unsurprisingly London.
The capital is by far the most popular city for tourism in Britain – last year it attracted more than 19 million holidaymakers.
It was swiftly followed by Edinburgh, Manchester and Brighton in Instagram popularity.
London was also home to all of the top ten most tagged geo-locations for landmarks in the UK.
Most Instagrammed hotels
- Marina Bay Sands Singapore
- Bellagio Las Vegas
- The Venetian Las Vegas
- Atlantis The Palm, Dubai
- MGM Grand Las Vegas
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Wynn Las Vegas
- Caesars Palace
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Paris Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Tower Bridge was number one on the list, followed by Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace and Shoreditch.
But there was no UK mention in the top ten most Instagrammed locations globally – with No.1 on that list going to Disneyland in California, followed by Times Square and Central Park in Times Square.
The most Instagrammed hotel was the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16