THE Balearic Islands has pledged to phase out greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
In an ambitious plan, Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and Formentera will take new diesel cars off the market from 2025.
In the same year, all street and road lighting will be replaced by LEDs.
The green manifesto will also see solar panels installed on all buildings with roof spans of more than 1,000 square metres, while coal plants will be phased out and all rental cars will be electric.
Francina Armengol, president of the Balearics’ socialist-green government said: “We are very aware that plenty of the measures in the law we are announcing demand efforts from the public and private sectors.
“It has to be this way if the law is to be more than a mere statement of intent.”
Joan Groizard, the islands’ director-general for climate change said it could clash with Madrid, and that the legal implications were being studied ‘very carefully’.
“There is a live debate about what regions can and can’t do, and we are working very practically on the legal side of this,” he said.
“We can’t ratify the Paris agreement on our own but we can take a decision to adhere to it.”
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03