A PENSIONER was almost garrotted by a kite surfer on a beach near Tarifa.
The elderly woman was taking a walk along Los Lances beach – a popular spot for kite surfers – when she got tangled in the lines of a surfer who was “out of control”.
The grandmother, who is in her eighties, was lucky that the ropes of the contraption did not wrap around her neck during the accident.
But she still had to be rushed to hospital in Algeciras suffering serious bruising and shock.
Her daughter Lola Ruiz del Portal, 57, said: “Luckily she was able to fend off the ropes with her arms otherwise it might have got caught around her neck.”
Portal immediately called the police and has now denounced the surfer, who was only 17, for reckless behaviour in a bathing area.
He and a friend – also a teenager – had attempted to leave the area, before the Guardia Civil turned up.
“Luckily she was able to fend off the ropes with her arms otherwise it might have got caught around her neck.”
Her daughter has now slammed the authorities for not enforcing the area reserved for the sport.
She insisted that there was no security in place at the area known as Los Pinos.
However Tarifa’s councillor in charge of beaches, Pedro Moreno insisted that safety personnel are usually on hand to enforce the laws.
He added that the kite surfing area is clearly marked.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00