HUNDREDS of expatriates have marched through the streets of Almeria city in protest against the pending demolition orders.
Dubbed ‘The March of the Innocent’ campaigners came from as far afield as Valencia.
‘They don’t have a home, they don’t have compensation’.
Led by Helen and Leonard Prior – whose Vera home was pulled down two years ago – the demonstration voiced its anger against the eight demolition orders served against British homes in Albox and Vera.
From his wheelchair, Leonard brandished a photo of his house being demolished with the caption ‘They don’t have a home, they don’t have compensation’.
At least five families insist they had no idea their homes were illegal.
The protest – organised by pressure group Abusos Urbanisticos del Almanzora No – brought traffic to a standstill for more than an hour.
AUAN president, Maura Hillen explained that the protest was aimed at solving “a very bad situation for which the town halls and the Junta were to blame”.
However, Junta official Luis Caparros insisted that the Junta “has no authority to stop the demolitions, as they are firm sentences from the judge which have to be respected”.
The Almanzora district has an estimated 11,000 illegal homes.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00