HUNDREDS of expatriates have marched through the streets of Almeria city in protest against the pending demolition orders.
Dubbed ‘The March of the Innocent’ campaigners came from as far afield as Valencia.
‘They don’t have a home, they don’t have compensation’.
Led by Helen and Leonard Prior – whose Vera home was pulled down two years ago – the demonstration voiced its anger against the eight demolition orders served against British homes in Albox and Vera.
From his wheelchair, Leonard brandished a photo of his house being demolished with the caption ‘They don’t have a home, they don’t have compensation’.
At least five families insist they had no idea their homes were illegal.
The protest – organised by pressure group Abusos Urbanisticos del Almanzora No – brought traffic to a standstill for more than an hour.
AUAN president, Maura Hillen explained that the protest was aimed at solving “a very bad situation for which the town halls and the Junta were to blame”.
However, Junta official Luis Caparros insisted that the Junta “has no authority to stop the demolitions, as they are firm sentences from the judge which have to be respected”.
The Almanzora district has an estimated 11,000 illegal homes.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27