AN award-winning Spanish photo, which scooped first prize in the UK’s prestigious Veolia competition could be a fake.
Called Storybook Wolf, it is said to have broken rules by using a tame, rather than wild wolf.
Photographer Jose Luis Rodriguez gave the impression he had discovered a farmer who was willing to allow a wild wolf on his land and then left meat by the fence to tempt one of the elusive creatures onto his property.
“We are investigating this thoroughly.”
The rules of the competition state that images of captive animals must be declared and that judges will give preference to images taken in “free and wild conditions”.
Now London’s Natural History Museum is investigating claims that the wolf is actually one from a zoo near Madrid.
A spokesman said: “We are investigating this thoroughly.”
Rodriguez, who won the £10,000 first prize, strongly denies any wrongdoing or breach of the competition rules.
Suspicions were raised when experts said that a wild wolf would squeeze through the bars rather than jump over.
Rodriguez had told judges it took a long time to find the location, let alone a wolf that would jump over the gate.
If found to have manufactured the photo Rodriguez would be stripped of the prize.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27