DEVELOPERS behind Ronda’s controversial Los Merinos golf course have lost a six-million euro libel battle.
The bosses behind the double golf course scheme took online magazine el Observador to court over a series of articles on the case over the last few years.
“The judge at Malaga’s court number four threw out the case for the second time, saying that the website had no case to answer for.”
Company JM Legion Espanola claimed that the environmental website and its owner Juan Area deliberately wrote defamatory and damaging articles about the 800-home scheme, that sits in Unesco-protected virgin woodland, near Ronda.
But the judge at Malaga’s court number four threw out the case for the second time, saying that the website had no case to answer for.
The developers had previously sued up to a dozen opponents to the scheme, including three expatriates for seven million euros each for daring to speak out against the scheme.
In a string of cases they accused the campaigners of “slander, coercion, intimidation and threats.”
One of those sued, writer Alastair Boyd, aka Lord Kilmarnock, who died last year, merely told the Olive Press that he believed that golf courses were “not sustainable”.
All of the cases have been thrown out of court or archived.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00