PHOTOS depicting and the nativity scene as a brothel have been pulled down in Granada.
The controversial artwork was torn down for having ‘injured the sentiments and convictions of a large number of people’.
Security fears were considered when Granada University closed photographer Fernando Bayona’s exhibition.
Some 18,000 complaints were received in just four hours about the shocking pictures.
Bayona said he wanted the display to act as a critique of the New Testament and a sarcastic and subversive reversal of the Biblical story.
‘Circus Christi’ contained 14 large photographs telling a story of Christ in modern Spain, mostly in the 1970s.
One picture shows the Virgin Mary, as a prostitute, meeting Joseph while he does a drug deal on the Jaén road in Granada.
Bayona has previously said of his artwork: “In each production I solely speak of love, heartbreak, human relationships, beauty, violence, sex, tension and distension.
“I seek redemption in my aesthetic acts, my objective being to feel alive through them.”
The exhibition received funding from the University and the Centre of Contemporary Culture.
Deputy Rector of Granada University, Miguel Gómez Oliver, was disappointed the university had been involved in causing such offence.
Opened at the Corrala de Santiago, a university residence, the exhibition attracted 38 people in two days.
The artist says he has received death threats by email and mobile phone.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00