23 Mar, 2010 @ 12:32
1 min read

Expat voting troubles

EXPATRIATES who want to vote are struggling to register according the Partido Popular.

Dutch, Belgians and Germans ran into difficulties at town halls for being unable to prove residency or not providing an NIE certificate.

Mijas councillor Lourdes Burgos said it is important foreign residents are registered and those that do should have reduced taxes.

Meanwhile, an expat political party being formed in Malaga is urging foreigners to register before local elections next year.

Politically neutral Partido Extranjeros Unidos is hoping to represent foreigners from Coin, Alhaurin el Grande, Alhaurin de la Torre, Alora, Cartama and Torremolinos.

A party spokesman said: “We’re pretty certain of winning a few seats in local elections in May next year and then we’ll aim for the Junta.”

All EU citizens are entitled to vote in next year in their area if they register one year in advance.

Registration forms are available at town halls or foreigners’ departments and must be accompanied by an empadronamiento and NIE or passport.

Jon Clarke (Publisher & Editor)

Jon Clarke is a Londoner who worked at the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday as an investigative journalist before moving permanently to Spain in 2003 where he helped set up the Olive Press. He is the author of three books; Costa Killer, Dining Secrets of Andalucia and My Search for Madeleine.

Do you have a story? Contact newsdesk@theolivepress.es


  1. I myself live in Torremolinos, and I never experienced any troubles with obtaining voting papers. Getting an empadronamiento only takes 15 min so the system works pretty well..

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Story

Costa del Safe?

Next Story

Dali comes to Malaga

Go toTop

More From The Olive Press