RED tuna is now on the brink of extinction, scientists have warned.
Population levels are now classed as critically low after numbers plummeted to just 15 per cent their former levels.
The growing popularity of delicacies sushi and sashimi not only in Japan, but also in the United States and Europe has been blamed for the grave situation.
Now, more than 150 countries will gather on March 25 to debate the future of the endangered fish at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
Europe and the United States are calling for redfin tuna – heavily fished in the Mediterranean – to be placed on the list of species threatened by extinction.
Such a move would effectively prohibit catching the species for purely commercial gain by 2011.
Yet, this severe move is heavily opposed by Japan, which is hoping to garner enough support from a third of countries present in order to block the measure.
“Governments must safeguard the future of redfin tuna, otherwise a species of huge historical importance will be lost forever,” said Sergi Tudela, from WWF.
Although international fishing quotas have been drastically reduced in recent years to protect the ailing species, critics say they are still insufficient.
They point to the still widespread illegal fishing practices and overexploitation that are still commonplace.
Redfin tuna catches were twice the levels legally permitted in 2007 and four times higher than the quantity recommended by experts.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00